Looking for more from Sean McLachlan? He also hangs out on the Midlist Writer blog, where he talks about writing, adventure travel, caving, and everything else he gets up to. He also reproduces all the posts from Civil War Horror, so drop on by!

Saturday, September 3, 2011

Enjoying my new Kindle

Last month I celebrated my 42nd birthday (shudder) and my wife kindly bought me my first Kindle. It makes sense that since I'm publishing my Civil War novel through Kindle Direct Publishing that I should at least have one!

I was surprised at how quickly I got used to reading on it. It's very user friendly and while it hasn't and probably never will replace my reading on paper, I've used it every day since I got it. It's also solving the problem of my bookshelves, which reached critical mass a long time ago. A friend who heard about my present gave me a CD of downloaded Project Gutenberg books, about 140 of them! It's nice having all those old classics in the palm of my hand.

Over at the Missouri in the Civil War Message Board someone mentioned there were some good nineteenth century Civil War books scanned and Kindle-ready over at Archive.org. While I frequently go to that site for film rarities, I'd never checked out their text collection and was happy to discover lots of Missouri Civil War books, including a couple that have been out of print for more than a century that I've always wanted. It's certainly turning out to be a useful gift!

1 comment:

Got something to say? Feel free! No anonymous comments allowed, though. Too many spammers and haters on the Internet.